Skip to main content

Welcome To The Jungle

 

The fluorescent tubes in Penn Station’s underbelly did a piss-poor job of lighting the platform. Stepping off of the train was like stepping into a dungeon. A dank, smelly dungeon that oxygen forgot. 

 

Dazed, I followed the crowd to claim our luggage being stacked against a wall. My spindly arms struggled with my three bags, but no one helped as they sprinted to the escalator up to street level. 

 

After my own wobbly ascent, I was belched up into the cavernous waiting room, moored by yards of grimy tile and the smell of burnt cheese and old caramel corn.  My head spun as I tried to get my bearings and find an exit, any exit. I stopped under the huge departures board in the middle of the room, finally spying a sign for 8th Avenue in a far corner. Good enough. I picked up my bags again.   

 

But then the PA system announced the track for the next New Jersey Transit train.  Hundreds of people suddenly woke from their zombie state to rush to the other side of the room. And I was in the way. Grim and determined, they flowed around me like human lava.  

 

Once the mob passed, I made my way to my intended corner and yet another escalator, which zipped me up to 8th Avenue. I landed out on the crowded sidewalk where all of my senses were mugged at once. Noise pummeled my head. Police sirens. Fire trucks. Rap music blaring from boom boxes. Honking cabs. Wheezing buses. People on all sides yelling, laughing. 

 

So many smells twisted my nose hairs. Bus exhaust. Hot, gummy asphalt. Frying food. And what IS that? Chestnuts roasting on an open fire? It’s August!

 

Not quite dusk, the area teemed with people darting in every direction. According to my NYC map from the Piqua AAA, the Sloane House was only 2 blocks away. But I couldn’t walk there with my bulky bags. I stood in a line for the yellow cabs waiting outside, numb from sensory overload. 

 

“Hi!” I said to the driver who didn’t look at me. “I know it’s not far, but I need to get these bags to the Sloane House on 34th. I’ll pay you double.”

 

The driver shrugged, still looking ahead, so I took that as, “Get in.”

 

He didn’t say anything after I gave him a $5 bill for the $2.30 fare once he dropped me off, so I guess did good. We pulled up to a brick behemoth with a dark awning stretching to the curb.

 

Once out of the cab, I didn’t want to look like a tourist. But I snuck a glance up the building, which arched skyward at least 10 stories. My room would be in there somewhere. I hoped.

 

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons / Alan Turkus 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

l i t t l e b r e t t , BIG CITY

When I left college in 1989, I was a virgin with corn-fed drive and a terrifying secret. It could disappoint or disgust my family and friends. It could even kill me. But I couldn’t hide from it anymore.  With "The World's Heaviest Briefcase," I escaped on a midnight train from Lima, Ohio to the YMCA on West 34th Street in Manhattan. Being gay had to be easier in New York, even though I was arriving with no home or job.   Right away, a hooker chased me in Times Square, and perverts watched me shower at the Y. I filled payphones with quarters each day, desperately seeking work. Ultimately, I was confronted by my biggest fear when dating my first man – a member of AIDS activist group ACT UP.  Could I really survive in one of the hardest cities in the world? Or would I fail and return to Ohio, back in the closet to find a wife and a lawn to mow.   l i t t l e  b r e t t , BIG CITY celebrates finding your own place in the world. Here I recall and sal

Paula Abdul Became "Forever Our Girl" This Week in 1989

Paula Abdul’s second single entered its second week at #1 this day in 1989. I was kicking off my last semester at Bowling Green, but I didn’t really connect with the song. I was more “alternative.” Think “120 Minutes.” But it's sure in my head 30+ years later. Paula Abdul is like the Gen X version of Cher.  Earlier this year, she wrapped a residency in Vegas , filling seats with fans of her videos, her choreography, and her iconic role as a talent show judge. Her appeal, like her resume, crosses generations. She’s still not on any of my playlists, but I appreciate her hustle. Check out the video for this song.  She wasn’t so big that she couldn’t pay tribute to some of the biggest videos a few years before her. Even if it was just to fuel her quest to be our girl, forever. Elijah Wood makes his acting debut here too as one of the “Boys of Summer.”

We Got The Beat - For Cardiac Supplements!

Savvy marketers have used 80s songs in commercials for awhile now, trying to appeal to Generation X by raiding our old cassette collections. I think it's cute, validating even. Banks and insurance companies now think I'm worthy of their products! I spent a dozen years working at VH1, so I appreciate the power of nostalgia.  Fidelity Investments has been my clear favorite, lifting "Saved By Zero" from The Fixx; "More Than This" by Roxy Music, and "If You Leave" from OMD—forever tied to Molly Ringwald and "Pretty In Pink," no matter what commercial it lands in. Last year I LOL'd when Geico featured "new homeowners" who were thrilled with their house's character, crown molding, and walk-in closets. But they had a rat problem. Flash to the 80s metal band RATT performing their first big hit "Round and Round" in the attic, bathroom and then the kitchen to the annoyance of the residents. For fun, here's my autogra